Wednesday 1 May 2019

A Chilly Start to May!

Hello Woofers!

Us again, Daisy, Holly, Miss May, Miss Wendy, Eric de Ferret and Monty de Ferret!

Well, welcome to the month of May, named after Miss May or so she says!

Last night Old Two Legs set up the moth trap in the garden and switched on the light and we all sat back looking for moths. Bedtime came and there was no moths to be seen.

OTL left it all on all night long and first thing this morning we had a look and..........nuffin!

We reckon it is still too early for moths but when OTL was dismantling the bird feeder ready for washing, out popped a small moth and scurried away before OTL could catch it!

Later this morning he ordered up some plastic sample jars to keep the moths in, if ever he catches any!

All this moth thing has started him off looking for other crawly stuff to photograph.

First of all is a Hover Fly.

A Hover Fly, not hovering!
 We couldn't find a Hover fly with such long, thick antennae so we will have to look on the Internetty Thingy and see if there are any pictures!

After it moved sideways for a moment!
 A few yards further on he spotted this thing that looked just like a Mosquito who was looking for some blood!

We didn't hang about!

An early Mosquito called Dracula?
Next there was this thing and we are not sure if it is a Carder Bee or a Spring Flower Bee?

We are certainly rusty on this insect stuff!

Holly says she is going to take a reference book to bed tonight to brush up on insect spotting!

Maybe a Male Spring Flower Bee?
What ever they are called, they were all busy eating the nectar on the flowers and generally making a loud buzzing sound!

So, if it's sunny then we will be helping OTL spot all the insects that will be worthy of a picture!

The down side of all this is that the Hay fever has started to work on OTL's nose!

We always know when the summer starts,  OTL starts sneezing!

We are off to help him set up the moth trap again to see if get lucky tonight!

Bye for now.

Luv,

Daisy, Holly, Miss May, Miss Wendy, Eric Dee Ferret and Monty de Ferret!

3 comments:

  1. Well a really creepy crawly post today, I wonder if Archie was frightened with all the pictures and turned off his computer instead of writing, poor Archie. Sorry about the hay fever, poor OTL he is a sufferer for his art. Now it is May we should have all the flowers popping out all over the place, we sat in the garden this afternoon very warm and nice. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow so we will have to stay indoors, ah well, they could be wrong. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo maties. Well I had such a busy day yesterday that I went to bed a bit earlier so I couldn't wait and stay up for your post. Nice pictures OTL but I don't like creepy crawlies and I would much rather see pictures of Daisy and Holly if you don't mind. But while we're on the subject of moths, if you look in my mums wardrobe or purse you might have more luck. Yesterday was a day of lots of gardening, cutting the grass and pruning the hedge and shrubs. I got a little bit of a grumbly tum from eating leaves so my mum washed my butt, it was awful, cold and wet wipes on my nice warm little bum. My mum had to go and buy a new hedgetrimmer cos she couldn't find the battery charger for the old cordless one and they don't make a charger to fit the old type battery any more and she couldn't find the one with the cord, it seems to have walked out of the garage. Off she went with her purse, crying all the way to B&Q but she came out smiling cos it was OAP day and she got 10% so that made her feel much better. My mum and my boy went off out to munch with wot she saved and they left me home alone ........ boooooooo hiss....... I helped with the clearing up after my mum cut the hedge and shrubs, do you know, all she did was moan at me, there I was helping away and you just can't please her. She's on her own today, I'm going to have a rest and put my paws up because I'll be up in the middle of the night tomorrow. Sounds like you had a busy day yesterday hunting out the creepies for OTL to take pictures of. Tell OTL if he keeps sneezing then he'll frighten all the creepies away. I hope you both got rewarded well for all that hunting and had a really nice bowl of scoff. Have a good day today. Love, licks, wags and sniffs from little (on strike) Arch and the Nippers xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gang

    First of all . . . great insect pictures.

    Secondly . . . sorry to hear OTL has started with the hayfever. I normally suffer with that but am good so far this year . . . been taken Yamoa tablets, for it for a month, am on second month . . . they seem to be working so far (all natural, pretty expensive, but WORTH it if I can enjoy the summer for the first time in forever!).

    I am reading a Young Adult fantasy fiction book at the moment where one the the characters silently screams 100 moths from her mouth each night so she can invade people's dreams. Bit scary, but the author has a fabulous imagination! Shame the character isn't real or I could've sent her to OTL for his net adventure!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete